Grandpa Leon (aka GPA and GGPA) has passed away. Absolutely heartbreaking! It was a total shock that this happened this soon. He had been sick a little bit with something that we all thought he could completely recover from, but God had another plan. Sunday night he watched the Steeler's win, ate some pizza and went to bed. Monday morning he never woke up. This has really been a whirlwind week for us and we have our moments of sadness, anger, regret and acceptance which I think are all normal feelings. I lost someone who could always put a smile on my face and make me laugh. He always had to be the tough guy, but when it came to his grandkids and great-grandkids, he melted like an ice cube on a hot summer street. He loved his family and friends so much and had a different way of showing it to everyone. For his family he was the provider and someone who taught them how to be strong, confident, proud and productive members of society. For his grandkids he was the supportive one that would come to our events and be the loudest one on the sidelines. He cheered for us and our teammates the loudest of anyone and he gave the best hugs when it was all done. To his great-grandkids he was the proudest man in the world. Never in my life have I seen someone get more excited to be around a fussy or screaming baby, but he didn't care. It was all still quality time to him. To his friends, he was the funny one. Always pulling practical jokes and dropping one-liners. The people at the gym were his extended family and they all knew that. Monday morning they were all concerned that he wasn't there as he always was on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays.
He always told us he loved us and to take care of ourselves. Where I really saw the soft side of him was with my boys. He loved everything about my boys. He loved hearing Aiden talk gibberish on the phone to him. He loved watching them learn to crawl and walk, when they played ball and other games, when they discovered a new toy or when they were most interested in the box than the gift itself. He just lit up anytime they were around. Those are my favorite memories and the ones I will do my best to keep alive for my boys as well. As we went through all the pictures we had accumulated throughout all of our years with him, besides the tears I couldn't help but smile when I realized that there will never be a picture of my grandfather in an oxygen mask, or in a wheelchair or using a walker. He was spared from all that and as much as I will miss him (more than words can express) I am so glad I will never have to see that side of him and neither will he. For that I am grateful. He lived a full and accomplished life. He was rich in love and pride.
Grandpa(isms) that will live on forever in our memories.....
- Zip it tootse!
- Hey, watch it, watch it - while bating you with "jabs"
- Come on tough guy
- I can't complain, she won't let me
- Magai!
- Alright, Alright!
- you NEVER touched Grandpa's hair or you paid the price
- He always wore his watch to the side with a stretch band
- He LOVED football Steelers and Notre Dame
- My parents took him to the Notre Dame game when they killed SC :)
- He had the best, most unmistakable chuckle laugh!
- The calls he made just to check on me when I was pregnant
- The calls he made to ocheck on "His boys"
- He loved us with all his heart.
Rest in peace Sweet Grandpa! You got your wish and passed in your sleep. It's not goodbye, it's till we see you again. I fully expect God to be converted to a Steeler's fan by the time I get there ;) Love you so much GPA!
With my Mom on her wedding day.
1/2 Italian and 1/2 Irish = 1 whole lot of spunk :)
xoxo!
Gazing at his first Great Grandson, Aiden - a little misty eyed (Shh!)
4 Generations!
Loving up his 2nd Great Grandson, Keegan
ALWAYS happy at a Notre Dame Game! :)








No comments:
Post a Comment