Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Daddy and Aiden


So for the past weeks I have been playing Mr. Mom with Aiden. As Kim has documented, I lost my job a couple of months ago. Being able to spend the past few weeks taking care of my son has been one of those 'blessing in disguise' of being laid off. We have gotten into a pretty good routine. He wakes up around 7 and we say goodbye to Kim and go have breakfast. Breakfast is definitely Aiden's favorite meal of the day. A typical morning meal consists of a whole banana, a whole yogurt, and either eggs, waffles or cereal. He then will typically spend his morning playing in his play area or watching a movie, while I scour the Internet for a job. Generally around 11 he starts to get sleepy for his nap. Sometimes we eat lunch before and after nap time, other times just after. He will usually take a 90-120 minute nap, which allows me to do laundry, clean the kitchen, vacuum, and other various household duties. Sometimes I even get to lay my head down a little too. Once he wakes up, I'll give him lunch (again), while I work the afternoon job boards. Looking for work is a part-time job in itself. I spend a good 4-5 hours a day, at least 20 hours a week looking for work. Once we are done we will have play time again while we wait for Kim to get home around 3ish. We have been able to do some fun things. Aiden and I visit the park and the slide regularly. We have made a couple of trips to Disneyland, and even got to go to a bounce house one rainy afternoon. It is tough to get this kid to expend all of his energy in one day. It is very tiring and have a new found respect for my mom who stayed home and raised 5 of us. All in all I think that I have done a pretty good job at the whole Mr. Mom thing, but I do hope that I find work soon. This will always be a special time that I got to spend with my son and watch him grow-up up close.

No comments: